Byng Hotel: 0051.0730

FIRE DAMAGES WEST WING BYNG HOTEL. – Several Rooms On Upper Floor Badly Damaged By Fire On Christmas Morning.

            Fire early Christmas morning in the west wing of the Byng hotel did damage of several hundred dollars and almost cost the life of Mrs. James Cox, who occupied one of the rooms.  The woman was slightly burned and overcome by smoke when found, and was removed to the St. Eugene hospital for treatment.

            The fire department found a rather stubborn fire to fight, and it took almost two hours to get it under control.  Five rooms on the second floor are quite badly damaged, not only by the fire, but also from water and smoke.  The fire was started apparently from a cigarette catching in the bedding of one of the rooms.  It had probably been smouldering for some time before discovered, and spread rapidly.

            The Byng hotel is operated by Messrs. John & Whiting, and while their loss is covered by insurance, the time of the year and weather conditions serve as a handicap in carrying on repair work.

0051.0730: Byng Hotel

Fire damages west wing of Byng Hotel, almost costing the life of female occupant.

Medium:  Newspaper - Text
Date:  November 28, 1939
Pages:  1
Publisher:  Cranbrook Courier
Collection:  Columbia Basin Institute (0051)

Keywords:

hotel burned smoke hospital fire department damage cigarette insurance

Subjects:

People arrow Coxarrow
People arrow Johnarrow
People arrow Whitingarrow
Cities arrow Cranbrook arrow Businesses arrow Hotels, Motels, Boarding Houses arrow Royal - Byngarrow
Cities arrow Cranbrook arrow Services arrow Fire Department and Firesarrow
Cities arrow Cranbrook arrow Hospitals, Clinics arrow St. Eugene Hospitalarrow

Memberships

For additional features, including access to full text resources, become a member.

Find out more about Memberships.





Share what you know

Share what you know

Do you have additional information about this resource?

Please share what you know.

This resource may be protected by copyright law and may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the written permission of the Columbia Basin Institute of Regional History.